Join our complimentary happy hour seminar in Burlingame at Ristorante Rocca
Seminar Title: Getting It Right Early- The Importance of Biopharmaceutics in Early Drug Development
Tuesday, April 5th, 2022
3:30am - 4:00pm - Registration
4:00pm - 5:00pm - Seminar
Upstairs in the Burgundy Room,
*Street parking is available
Nominated candidates entering clinical development often have sub-optimal physicochemical, biopharmaceutic or DMPK properties for oral delivery. Development teams are challenged with how to understand the properties of new drug candidates, how to design the appropriate formulation strategy and how to move quickly and successfully into early phase clinical trials. Along the way, it is important to identify developability risks and take steps to mitigate these factors, balanced carefully against time and cost investments.
Join Quotient's Senior Drug Development Consultant, Dr Vanessa Zann, as she discusses effective strategies being used by biotech and pharmaceutical companies to overcome biopharmaceutic challenges for small molecules in today’s drug development pipeline; and explores alternative approaches for accelerating your early development plan.
Learn about case studies relating to:
- Poorly soluble molecules
- Drugs with short half-lives
- Preclinical to clinical translation
Key Learning Objectives:
- The importance of salt and polymorph screening and prototype selection for pre-clinical assessment
- BCS or DCS assignment and developing a formulation strategy for poorly soluble molecules
- The role of physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) modelling and simulation (M&S) for rational formulation design
- Teasing apart the drivers of poor bioavailability - In-vitro testing / in-silico techniques / in-vivo preclinical studies / clinical assessment
- Choosing the appropriate dosage form for first-in-human trials
- Formulation optimization using adaptive clinical programs
After the seminar has concluded, stay and enjoy some delicious appetizers and beverages while mingling with your peers.
About our speaker
Dr Vanessa Zann, Senior Drug Development Consultant
Vanessa has over 17 years industry experience providing biopharmaceutics support to discovery, development and clinical programs. Vanessa has previous experience at AstraZeneca as a permeability expert working in the Pharmaceutical Development dept. where she lead the global Caco-2 facility for development, liaising with discovery scientists to ensure selection of NCE with appropriate biopharmaceutical properties, introduced the IV microtracer technique and also provided biopharmaceutical support to both Discovery and Development programs. Vanessa joined Quotient Sciences in 2012 and has lead the implementation of Modelling and Simulation and been heavily involved in the Pharmaceutical Sciences in vitro characterisation strategy, as well as designing clinical studies and providing scientific support through clinical study delivery.